Monday, September 15, 2008

Reward

Yesterday started out well. We had met with a nurse on Saturday night who helped us with the feeding tube. Another came in on Sunday morning to help take the tube off for the day time. Mom was feeling pretty good and went into the kitchen with Evelyn while she made breakfast. In fact, she made several laps around the island in the kitchen with her walker. In the afternoon Ev and I went to town and did some shopping. When we returned Ev helped Mom with a shower and that's when things went south. Mom became dizzy and in a very short time lethargic and near despondant. We grabbed her blood pressure cuff and our first reading was 67/35. We called the in-home nurse and found she was on her way for her nightly rounds.

It took about a half hour, but Mom's blood pressure did come back up. The nurse believes it was a combination of doing too much, the heat in the shower and medications. We adjusted the times of medications and gave Mom instructions to do less today. That is very hard for a woman who has been active from sun up to sun down most of her life.

Today she is doing better. She's moving a bit slower and not near as much. She sleeps most of the time and when she does get up she stands there for two minutes to make sure she isn't going to have another big blood pressure drop.

Today's devotions included Psalm 27.

Psa 27:1-14 A psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation—so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? (2) When evil people come to devour me, when my enemies and foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. (3) Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will not be afraid. Even if I am attacked, I will remain confident. (4) The one thing I ask of the LORD—the thing I seek most—is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, delighting in the LORD's perfections and meditating in His Temple. (5) For He will conceal me there when troubles come; He will hide me in His sanctuary. He will place me out of reach on a high rock. (6) Then I will hold my head high above my enemies who surround me. At His sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy, singing and praising the LORD with music. (7) Hear me as I pray, O LORD. Be merciful and answer me! (8) My heart has heard You say, "Come and talk with Me." And my heart
responds, "LORD, I am coming." (9) Do not turn Your back on me. Do not reject Your servant in anger. You have always been my helper. Don't leave me now; don't abandon me, O God of my salvation! (10) Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will hold me close. (11) Teach me how to live, O LORD. Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me. (12) Do not let me fall into their hands. For they accuse me of things I've never done; with every breath they threaten me with violence. (13) Yet I am confident I will see the LORD's goodness while I am here in the land of the living. (14) Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD. (NLT)

I also went to the Lord's prayer today in Matthew 6. It was two of the verses before the actual model prayer that jumped out at me. Mat 6:5-6 "When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. (6) But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you."

Did you catch the promise in the midst of this scripture? Father promises to reward those who pray in private. God longs to bless you and wants you to spend time with Him with an air of expectancy. Mat 7:11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! (NKJV)

So I challenge me and you today, get alone, pray and then live the day in conversation with your wonderful Heavenly Father expecting to see good things from Him all day, and be thankful. Lastly, join the psalmist.. Yet I am confident I will see the LORD's goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Ps 27:13 (NLT)

That is a living promise. We don't have to wait until Heaven to see the blessing of the Lord. It is ours now.

Be Blessed,
Brother Steve

No comments: